The photo you are seeing is that of my mother, Jennifer. She was admitted to the hospital on August 17, 2018 for what doctors described as a left thalamic intracranial hemorrhage with intraventricular hemorrhage stroke. Fortunately for us, the medical staff was able to stop the bleeding in the brain but it took some time before the drain tube attached to her skull was removed. She was in the Neurological Intensive Care Unit for about a month before being transferred to another hospital specializing in inpatient long-term acute care.
As of today, she has been there for two weeks. She is currently in rehab trying to regain as much function in her body as possible. Currently, her right side of the body has very little movement and because of that, she has trouble sitting up. She cannot target the food with her spoon at times. Also, she is not able to speak since the bleeding as affected her speech abilities. The therapists recommended continuing physical rehab and speech therapy and at the rate she is progressing, it looks promising according to them. That said, we do not know what condition she will be in once they deem it necessary to stop the rehabilitation process.
In the meantime, we are awaiting supplemental security income benefits (SSI) and Medicaid to come through and were told it could take a while before benefits would aid us. My family cannot take her in at the moment because she needs around-the-clock care. After consulting with the social worker and therapist, the services rendered for continuing care and rehab will come to about $5,000 per month for the first 4-6 months. Once the hospital decides their work is complete, they would then discharge her to a nursing facility, which doesn’t offer rehab, and the costs would come to about $1000 per month for several months. We must pay these costs until SSI/Medicaid coverage kicks in. I estimate these costs to come to about $20,000-$35,000 ($20,000 if we wait just 4 months vs $36,000 if we wait the full 6 months followed by a transfer to a separate nursing facility for 6 months at $1000/month). Of course, the actual amount that would be paid to the hospital is unknown and this all depends on when we actually receive the medical benefits to assist us.
Taking into account our financial limitations (my family members are making enough to make ends meet; I work overseas and can manage to help the younger brother with utility bills and his car payment), we have come to the conclusion that we cannot afford these costs. Even though my family and I cannot afford such services, declining continuing rehab treatment is not an option for us. We want what’s best for our mother as she enters the later years of her life. We want her to have as much mobility as she can so she is able to move on her own free will. We want her to recover most, if not all, of her speech abilities so she is able to speak freely and say what’s on her mind. We would like to have our mother close to 100% as much as possible so she can live a close to normal life.
Thank you for reading my plea, donors. Anything at this point would be appreciated and I would be eternally grateful.
Regards from her son,