I never thought I would have to resort to this, as I have been a donor on this website before and have helped others in need. But this is my last and only option because of my finances giving my rising college loans and current state of the economy with COVID-19.
My name is Daniel and my girlfriend and I are recent graduates who adopted a beautiful aussie shepherd/border collie mix. Koda is 16 weeks old; hes charismatic, energetic, loveable, and a hassle all at the same time. Unfortunately, we don’t know if he’s going to make it past this week. Dakoda got into a bowl of grapes on a counter and managed to swallow 7. We didn’t realize what happened until we heard him whimpering, barking as if he were in constant pain, and pacing back and forth without getting his hind legs of the ground. Little did we know about the toxicity of grapes in dogs, but after noticing a few were gone, we realized the severity. It’s scary. Kidney failure is the ultimate result, and we think that’s the ultimate fate of our little one.
We called poison control and told them the symptoms (we recommend not doing that because they charge $75 for a useless call). They were wrong with the diagnosis, however the main point they always say is bring them to a vet hospital asap. Since my girlfriend and I have financial issues, we had to look for cheap vets or vets where we could communicate and pick and chose the treatments, because getting slapped with a $5000 is not ideal. We rushed to an animal hospital about 40 minutes away, they brought him in without us because of COVID (not ideal) and ran tests which equated to $500 on top of the emergency fee visit. We did not know anything they we’re doing nor did they communicate their procedures. After, they charged us again unknowingly, and came out to talk to us again to say our little guy is infected with absolutely no blood work shown to us. They also said they’d have to induce vomiting, run 2-4 blood tests, and keep him overnight for 2 days to monitor. What are we supposed to say?
Long story short, they were not transparent with us and the treatments they did were ineffective. Although they got the grapes out, coming back with a diagnosis of saying your puppies kidneys are failing with no proof and slapping on a $3500 bill is unprofessional. Plus, we don’t have the money for any of that including dialysis, so we supposedly got placed on a payment plan that has yet to be brought upon us. Currently, we don’t know what’s up with his body, he’s completely different with every thing and we’re fearful he can collapse any time. We can’t bring him to a vet because we cant afford, so the only thing we can do is monitor and give him unconditional love until further notice.
The money is irrelevant right now to be honest. I just wish we were more careful. Please make sure your dogs are always safe and make sure they don’t ingest chocolate, grapes/raisins, onions, corn, avocados and much more. Also, buy pet insurance, because you’ll be covered.
Here is my paypal if you so choose to donate: